How to add categorized content in Magento 2
You may be correct to assume that a customer values the variety of items in your online store. However, there is still a little vacant space for that to be the whole truth. A wide assortment of products would be of no use to potential customers if they can not find their way around and actually buy something. Make the browsing and buying experience better for your potential clientele by organizing your products in categories rather than scattering them all throughout your store. Through this article, we would learn how to add categorized content in Magento 2.
The Magento categories organize the total number of items in your online store and form its structure. Every product in Magento needs to be categorized, thus it is a good idea to prepare and map out categories in advance to prevent confusion. Once you are done, you can always go back and add a new category or delete an existing one that no longer serves a reasonable purpose.
To learn how to add categorized content in Magento 2, we must first understand that there are three main categories in Magento 2:
- THE ROOT CATEGORY: A store can only have one active root category, which serves as a container for the hierarchy of categories and subcategories within the store.
- CATEGORIES: The primary structural components of a Magento online store, which can either include products or smaller clusters known as subcategories.
- SUBCATEGORIES: This is a clutter-clearing tool that clarifies the complexity of a product category’s diversity of products or distinguishes two rival brands within it.
To understand how to add categorized content in Magento 2, read on through our beginner-friendly guide for it:
STEP 1: In order to add categorized content in Magento 2, you can start by opening the side menu of the Catalog tab after logging into the admin panel. Categories can be chosen from the list.
When you reach the next page, the arrangement of your future categories and subcategories will be on the left side of it.
STEP 2: Click on SUBCATEGORY and add the basic information
- Enable category: If you want it to be active immediately, set it to Yes
- Include in Menu: If you would like it to be included on the menu, set it to Yes
- Category Name: for store view
If you configured the category in this way, it will already be visible in the categories tree when you click Save in the upper right corner.
STEP 3: By this point, you would have completed the initial steps needed to add categorized content in Magento 2. You can now go ahead and open the Content tab
This is one of the most important steps to add categorized content in Magento 2 so do this carefully.
- First and foremost, a category image needs to be uploaded here
- For the store view, add a description.
- If you want a content block to show up on the category landing page, choose a CMS block. Select the most fitting option from the drop-down menu.
Once satisfied with your choices, save the final result.
STEP 4: When you successfully complete all of these previously mentioned steps to add categorized content in Magento 2, move on to the Display Settings.
On this page, you would need to configure:
- The Display mode – choose what you want to be displayed
- Anchor: Select this to include the “Filter by Attribute” category option.
- Available product listing sort by: Either leave the check mark next to Use All or choose one of the choices from the list below
- Default Product listing sort by: either choose Position, Product Name, or Price or leave Use Config Settings
- Layered Navigation Price Set: Either set up a certain value or leave Use Config Settings
Once done, click on Save to continue.
STEP 5: select the tab for Search Optimization. Fill out all relevant fields to boost your search rankings.
- Along with the browser tab and title bar, the META TITLE also appears in the search results. It must be original and less than 70 characters in length.
- The specific word combinations that potential customers may use when searching for the products in this category are known as META KEYWORDS.
- The META DESCRIPTION, which is displayed in the search results below the page title, is the description that search engines index. It should ideally be kept between 150 and 160 characters in length.
Click Save to finalize the changes at this point in your process to add categorized content in Magento 2.
STEP 6: click on the PRODUCTS IN CATEGORY tab
Here, you must add products by checking the boxes next to them. shown at the top of each category are the Search Filters. You can always apply them if there are too many things in the store for you to personally choose each one. Click Reset Filter to clear out every filter field.
Press save when done.
STEP 7: Next up in your journey to add categorized content in Magneto 2, is to go to the Design tab.
- if Use Parent Category Settings is enabled, the current category will immediately receive the changes.
- The Theme field is for applying to the category
- You must choose the column layout for the category in Layout.
- If you have a unique layout update XML code, enter it in the given space
- Choose Yes or No in the Apply Design to Products option as per your preference.
Click on Save to finalize your selections.
STEP 9: Finally, to finish your process and add categorized content in Magento 2, proceed to the final tab labeled Schedule Design Update.
In this section, you define the time frame for which your unique design will be applicable to a particular category. Once done, save all your changes. And with that, you would have successfully learned how to add categorized products in Magento 2.
The aim of this article was to simplify and explain how to add categorized content in Magento 2. For an online store in competitive times like these, it is essential to learn and implement the latest marketing trends for maximum customer satisfaction and hence, sales turnover.
Once you learn to add categorized content in Magento 2, a lot of your managerial decisions become easy and cost and time effective. To read about all the other ways that Magento 2 can be helpful for your e-commerce store.