How to add categories in Magento 2
Why Magento? Is a common question frequently brought into consideration when opting for an E-commerce platform to manage online businesses. According to Alexa top 100k, Magento was ranked number one among 1 million websites followed by WooCommerce and many others. Till date it’s been gaining traction, slowly making its way to becoming a global success. It ranks 13169 in the world with almost about a quarter of traffic coming from the USA (24.9%), Canada (2.9%) and India (29.9%). Keeping in view its scalable built and highly developed software expertise one quarter of the merchants are running their online stores through it which includes flagship companies like Nestle, Ford, Coca Cola, Land Rover, Liverpool Fc etc.
To give a quick review of what basically Magento 2 is, it could be said that it is an open-source technology that deals in E-commerce where customizing functionality on a large scale is mostly looked out upon or focused on.
Is Magento 2.0 the perfect choice? It could be if it rings true with one’s needs and requirements. There’s always room for creativity which creates opportunities for better technology and hence a better future. If the below stated bullets satisfy those needs and accommodate future repercussions then this software is the perfect fit for it.
· I am not tech savvy but willingly want to spend time and learn.
· Need a software that can scale with my business needs without worrying about the need to change it in future
· With increasing customer traffic, it won’t break down and maintain stability. For instance, if in future the business expands and needs to add categories in Magento 2.0 then its a smooth sailing.
· Flexible enough to work with other softwares like shipping companies etc.
· PCI compliance and security is of top most priority
Add categories in Magento 2.0:
Moving on, Magento 2.0 offers the flexibility to both the customers and the website owners to customize the website as per their requirements. One of which is to edit, Add Categories in Magento 2.0. Categories serve an important purpose in making a website easy to navigate however sometimes it becomes necessary to edit the structure of its category tree. For instance, an XYZ brand that deals primarily in clothing is launching its footwear collection. In order to do that it must go through the below stated steps:
- Step 1: Switch to the back end. From the admin’s Dashboard navigate to Catalogue and then to Categories. In Magento 2, there’s a top level category that appears on the main menu and then it has different sub categories that can be created/edited however much one wants to as long as they meet the menu depth configuration. Categories can be dragged and dropped to change their position on the main menu.
- Step 2: Select Add Root Category in order to add categories in Magento 2.0. On the other hand, to add a subcategory to a parent category select Default Category first and then select Add Subcategory. For instance, Luma has decided to introduce a footwear collection in the Men’s category. In order to do that, Select the Parent Category (Men) and then click Add Sub Category. This will create a sub category by the name Footwear. Once created one can fill in the details through the New Category page.
· Step 3: In the New Category page, start configuring the general information i.e., give a name to the category, enable it by swiping the “Is Active” field and finally decide if you want to add it to the main menu or not.
· Step 4: Next, add details to the Content tab. Keeping in view the size and kinds of products in the category choose an image for the category and give a small description. With that being done, choose the CMS block for the category.
· Step 5: Moving on towards the Display Settings. Here one can choose the Display Mode from options stated in the drop-down box. Swipe the Anchor button to Yes. Anchor is basically the owner’s agreement to show the “Filter by Attributes”. Set the product listing. For instance, it could either be by price, position, Product name or all three. Finally, set layered navigation price as per your desire.
· Step 6: Coming towards the Search Engine Optimization section. Here, one needs to set the URL key otherwise the system will generate a default one. Then add the Meta Title, Meta keywords and Meta Description. For instance, the Meta Title for Footwear could be Men’s Footwear while Meta keywords could be Shoes, Product, Footwear. For Meta Description, one liner detail about the category based on simple understandable words would do well!
· Step 7: Once the above steps have been completed its time to add products in the newly generated category. Mark products in the product checkbox to add them into the New Category. Magento provides the facility of adding products from its default section from where one can select multiple footwears and add it to the category.
· Step 8: In the Design tab, based on the sample data theme can be changed for that one specific category which enables us to set it differently from the parent category. In addition to this the layout could be changed and custom coded using XML.
· Step 9: Finally, the Schedule Design Update section allows one the opportunity to schedule the dates for when the new collection is being launched. For that to edit, check dates in the date box and set it as per requirement.
In the end, save the Category and then check in back to the front-end of the website. You’ll see a newly created subcategory Footwear under Men’s Collection.
By following the above stated steps one can create as many sub categories as they want to because creating new categories eases customer experience in navigating through the product categories and helps them search for specific products. Hence, a clear layered navigation system plays a key role in enhancing customer experience.In addition to this, category configuration is very much customizable therefore one can easily change the position of an added category in Magento 2.0, change its structure, edit or delete it depending on how scalable a business can be in the future.